POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 12 Jul 2009 04:13:55
Message: <4a599b43$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Apache doesn't have remote administration, as far as I know. Linux has
> remote stuff in general,

Well yes, most remote administration tools for Linux AFAIK handles
multiple thingies, not just one software. Apache doesn't have one
built-in, that much is true.

> but you actually have to log into the machine
> running Apache to restart it,

I do believe that Windows and IIS also require authentication to do such
things :-). Yes, AD makes it pretty easy, while both machines (web
server and your workstation) authenticate from the same servers and with
the same instance. And yes, I believe one can handle such thing eg. via
Webmin. Mind you, running Apache on Windows might raise problems on this
view, since AFAIK most remote administration tools for Linux won't work
with it.

> and you have to look at the files that
> Apache instance is reading to change the configuration.

If you do, you're not the usual admin of that server. Admin should know
where particular instance is configured :-). Also in Windows, if you get
a new already running server to admin with multiple instances of same
daemons, you'll need to check which one is which.

> There's no tool for Apache, as far as I know, that lets you change the
> configuration on 300 distributed web servers and then sequence a restart
> of them in such a way that you're not killing anyone's page-serve as the
> servers restart. You have to roll your own using scp (or shared
> directories holding the configuration), ssh, etc.  You can't turn off an
> Apache server without logging into the machine where it's running, and
> you cant change the configuration without logging into whatever machine
> is holding the configuration files.

Well yes, I either don't know about distributed administration for
Apache, but that's a whole another level than just remote administration.

-Aero