POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jul 2009 13:00:33
Message: <4a58c531$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> What Exchange does is store your mailbox in a central database rather
> than locally on your PC. That's pretty trivial.

It does a lot more than that. It has the calendering, reserving of
conference rooms, meeting scheduling, to-do lists, all the permissions of
getting heirarchical groups of people looking at calendars and to-do lists,
revocable email, one message shared between lots of poeple, offline
synchronization of all that stuff, etc etc.

It does *tons* of stuff. You just don't use it.

>>> So what does IIS do that Apache doesn't then?
>>
>> Windows logins. ASP.NET. Remote administration. A whole different
>> processing module method. Interesting deployment options where you
>> don't have to roll your own. Etc. Go read up on it.
>
> None of that made any sense to me, but hey...

You often seem to argue from a position of ignorance. Rather than argue "X
doesn't do anything more useful than Y", you should probably ask "What does
X do that's more useful than Y" when you don't know the answer.

How can you be IT support for a windows-based company and not understand the
terms "windows logins" and "remote administration"?

>>> (Aside from giving root access to anybody who types their URLs with
>>> backslashes instead of forward slashes...)
>>
>> Cite?
>
> I *think* this is the correct one:

https://services.netscreen.com/restricted/sigupdates/nsm-updates/HTML/HTTP:IIS:ASP-DOT-NET-BACKSLASH.html

And where does it say anything about root access there?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."