POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 11 Jul 2009 11:56:03
Message: <4a58b613$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/11/09 10:25, Stephen wrote:
> I question that figure try 10 million or more than 40 million during the 200
> years of British rule.

	Due to famines, or overall?

> I don't think that the food came to Britian. More likely it was sent to other
> colonies.

	Could be.

> I was reading recently about the English starving the Irish into submission
> during the 16th Century. So it was a method that was tried and tested.
> Although in our ancestors defence (ha!) I don't think that it was really racist
> more a class thing. They treated the Indian rulers with more respect than they
> did their own poor people.

	I think what people classify as racism is more often than not  other
prejudices. The proper words for each just aren't as trendy as racism.

>> 	In any case, it's rare that I hear a lot of "guilt" about the British
>> in India. Certainly Indians occasionally bring it up. Maybe it's much
>> more common across the Atlantic.
>>
> That may be more to do with the people that go there. The Indians and Pakistanis
> that settle in the UK tell different stories.

	What I meant is I don't see many white people talk about the guilt of
the British Empire (as in, I was wondering why Darren brought it up).

> Ask any Jamaican they suffered under both. But African and European slavery
> pales into insignificance when compared to the American idea. I don't believe
> that slaves in the rest of the world were considered animals, sub-human or just
> children at best.

	When you say "American", wasn't that more or less the same as when they
were under the English? I believe the English got rid of it earlier and
treated them more humanely earlier than the US did, but if we were to go
back to the mid-1700's, wasn't the treatment by the English more or less
the same as what you're referring to as American?

>>> I strongly suspect it's because the white folks know their own history
>>> much better than they know the history of other cultures. Quick, without
>>> looking, what was going on in Africa and India during the medieval ages?
>>> Who were the power players?
> Islam and Arabs

	Mostly only in North Africa and the East coast of Africa. What about
the rest of the continent?

--
Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl