POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Jul 2009 06:49:27
Message: <4a586e37$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'd actually be interested in finding such a beast... It seems odd
>> that nobody has made one.
>
> It's only odd because what Exchange does is inherently difficult to do
> well.  Who is going to write such a thing, and try to compete with
> Exchange? It's not cool enough for random Linux enthusiasts to write
> from scratch, any more than OpenOffice was.

What Exchange does is store your mailbox in a central database rather
than locally on your PC. That's pretty trivial.

OTOH, I'll grant that it's not very "shiny", so that's probably why
nobody else has done it...

>> So what does IIS do that Apache doesn't then?
>
> Windows logins. ASP.NET. Remote administration. A whole different
> processing module method. Interesting deployment options where you don't
> have to roll your own. Etc. Go read up on it.

None of that made any sense to me, but hey...

>> (Aside from giving root access to anybody who types their URLs with
>> backslashes instead of forward slashes...)
>
> Cite?

I *think* this is the correct one:

https://services.netscreen.com/restricted/sigupdates/nsm-updates/HTML/HTTP:IIS:ASP-DOT-NET-BACKSLASH.html

--