POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: scott
Date: 10 Jul 2009 08:50:23
Message: <4a57390f@news.povray.org>
>> Oh joy, another one of your completely made-up stories bashing MS :-)
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyglass,_Inc.
>
> ...this page does not exist?

Make sure you include the final full stop.

> Tesco might sell petrol at a loss, but they don't give it away *for free*
> to get you through the door, do they?

No, but there's no law stopping them if they wanted to.  Like when petrol
stations give away glasses or model cars or oil for free when you buy
petrol.  WHSmith gave me a free newspaper last time I went to get some food
in there, I guess if there was a newspaper shop next door they might be out
of business by now?

> Well, fortunately not everybody thinks like that. Otherwise nobody would
> bother making any actual *products* at all, they'd all just find ways to
> screw customers out of their money without providing anything in return.

Generally you go bankrupt pretty quickly if you try to do that.

> Buying something isn't the same as stealing it.

Oh I see, so when you're talking about MS, "stole" means "bought", but when
you're talking about Oracle "stole" really does mean "stole" as in acquired
illegally without paying for it.  Hmmm ok whatever.

> So your basic premise is that the only way to be successful in business is
> to lie, cheat, steal and try to fob customers off with cheap defective
> goods at extortionate prices?

You can't be general like that, most of those things generally lose you
customers and profit, but you can use your judgment in certain situations.
(eg if MS had told the people they were buying DOS from that they were
planning to license it to IBM, they likely wouldn't have been able to buy it
or been charged 100x more, and then MS probably wouldn't have existed
today).