POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jul 2009 08:28:53
Message: <4a573405@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> It's an IDE. It edits text files. How hard should that be?
>
> LOL.  Editing the text files is a fairly minor part of an IDE, and as
> you say shouldn't be that hard.  The complicated parts come when you
> start configuring the build tools, using the debugger, and of course the
> form designer.  If you don't know how to use them properly it's going to
> be hard work and very frustrating.

Mercifully, VS seemed to already know how to compile stuff, so that
wasn't too hard. (Persuading it to build a JAR file was another matter...)

> By the way, I don't know how you could ever write a program without
> using the debugger, but hey maybe I just make lots of mistakes...

The debugger, at least, was relatively intuivite to use. IIRC, the only
tricky thing was figuring out how the hell to invoke it in the first
place. (Oh, and the fact that the bug is almost never where you think it
was, so you invariably put the breakpoints in the wrong place...)

Can you see why I like statically-typed programming languages? ;-)

On an unrelated note, the debugger that comes with GHC is... unhelpful,
to put it generously.