POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jul 2009 07:14:31
Message: <4a572297$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Of course you can if your product is more attractive for customers to
> want to pay for it.

It's difficult to see how you could make a web browser more attractive
to the casual user than IE already is - at least, enough to make them
reach into their pockets anyway...

> Linux is free, people still buy Windows.

Some people even buy Linux, oddly enough...

> OpenOffice is free, people still buy MS Office.

A better comparison might be "people still be StarOffice". Except that
I've never heard of anybody doing that.

> Blender and Wings are
> free, people still buy 3D Studio.  The GIMP is free, people still buy
> Paintshop.  I'm sure you can think of many more examples.

If I wanted to be cynical, I could point out that I've never met anybody
who owns a copy of 3D Studio or Paintshop *legally*. ;-)