POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: scott
Date: 10 Jul 2009 07:01:05
Message: <4a571f71@news.povray.org>
> Before Internet Explorer, web browsers used to cost money. After IE, it
> was basically impossible to sell them for money. Why would anyone pay
> money for something that they can get for free anyway?
>
> So yeah, the products they give away for free compete with other products
> which are free *now*... because you can't sell them for money any more.

Of course you can if your product is more attractive for customers to want
to pay for it.  Linux is free, people still buy Windows.  OpenOffice is
free, people still buy MS Office.  Blender and Wings are free, people still
buy 3D Studio.  The GIMP is free, people still buy Paintshop.  I'm sure you
can think of many more examples.