POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: scott
Date: 10 Jul 2009 06:33:29
Message: <4a5718f9$1@news.povray.org>
> At uni, we used both Borland JBuilder and VisualStudio J++. Both of them
> were ludicrously slow. Stuff like
>
> - Start the program: 45 seconds.
> - Wait for autocomplete to appear: 20 seconds.

So the computer was to blame then? I used Borland C++ Builder (I got it free
on a magazine cover disk) extensively at colleg and Uni on my moderate home
PC and it ran fine, nothing like you mention above.

> If you decide you want to rename a class... forget it. This confuses VS
> beyond belief.

Did you try to do it manually, or use the Rename command?  If you tried to
do it manually then I can understand things going wrong.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6kxxabwd.aspx

> Trying to add source files that weren't created using VS is near
> impossible.

Ermm, Project -> Add Existing Item works perfectly every time for me.  What
went wrong?

> Then VS insists on trying to incorrectly format your code (e.g., put the
> open bracket on the same line as the method declaration, rather than the
> line below it).

You can do either, and you can choose whether it will indent the brackets or
not if you put them on their own line.

> Trying to tell it which file is the runnable program is unecessarily
> difficult.

I've never made any multi-file projects, but I would be very surprised if
you couldn't set what is run.  And even if you couldn't you just add a
post-build event to run the executable you want.

> You had to jump through hoops to make it create an empty project rather
> than a project already stuffed with boilerplate code you don't need or
> want.

Sounds to me like someone just didn't know how to do it the correct way.