POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jul 2009 04:53:03
Message: <4a57016f$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've yet to see an IDE that isn't horribly slow, bloated and
>> inflexible. I guess in that respect VS is no worse than any other IDE.
>
> Maybe it's your computer then? :-)
>
> VS works perfectly fast enough here thank you... exactly how can an IDE
> be horribly slow? You mean when compiling or starting up or what?

At uni, we used both Borland JBuilder and VisualStudio J++. Both of them
were ludicrously slow. Stuff like

- Start the program: 45 seconds.
- Wait for autocomplete to appear: 20 seconds.
- Compile something: 30 seconds.

Both also had a nasty habit of the metadata not matching the source
code. Like, open a file, add a new method, and VS seems not to "know
about it" until you close and reopen VS. (You'd hope that just saving
the file would be enough. No. Maybe just compiling it then? No.)

If you decide you want to rename a class... forget it. This confuses VS
beyond belief. Trying to add source files that weren't created using VS
is near impossible. Then VS insists on trying to incorrectly format your
code (e.g., put the open bracket on the same line as the method
declaration, rather than the line below it).

Trying to tell it which file is the runnable program is unecessarily
difficult. You had to jump through hoops to make it create an empty
project rather than a project already stuffed with boilerplate code you
don't need or want.

Basically, every single aspect of it was annoying, inflexible and
overcomplicated.

I will say one thing though: It did manage to compile recursive classes,
which Sun's JDK could only do with special trickery.

I imagine on today's computers it's probably not quite so slow, but I
doubt it's become any less inflexible.