POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jul 2009 04:20:35
Message: <4a56f9d3$1@news.povray.org>
>> According to the history books, the story goes that IBM wanted an OS,
>> Gate's mum knew somebody at IBM, so Gates stole an OS off one of his
>> mates and made it work on the IBM PC. IBM PCs became popular for some
>> reason, and the rest is history.
>
> I think you have a rather twisted telling of that story there. :-)

Microsoft's entire history seems to revolve around stealing other
people's stuff and watching them go bankrupt faster than they can sue.

>>> nobody could provide any decent competition back then.
>>
>> I doubt that was the reason.
>
> Name two competitors. Were you even in the market at the time it was
> hashing out?

When the hell was the IBM PC invented anyway?

>> I wasn't referring only to Windows; M$ make other products as well.
>> (Most notably Office, but also things like VisualStudio, IIS,
>> Exchange, SQL Server, etc.) Other people manage to make similar
>> products which work significantly better,
>
> Do they? What works better than Exchange?

Actually... I'm not aware of anything else that does what Exchange does.
Which is a little bit odd, really.

I know of a few office suites that manage to not constantly crash like
MS Office does. Apache is notable for doing the same thing as IIS while
being actually secure and less of a resource hog. (I will admit it's a
PITA to configure though...) There are lots of database engines out
there; I doubt many of them are worse than SQL Server.

I've yet to see an IDE that isn't horribly slow, bloated and inflexible.
I guess in that respect VS is no worse than any other IDE.