POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jul 2009 22:18:27
Message: <4a555373@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 18:43:10 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That "threat" of being booted out of the church for trying to promote
>> an alternative view seems to run counter to the "reminder" you describe
>> above.  I might even think it is more likely that it's a way to get
>> people to try to integrate the teachings of their church leadership
>> into what they've already been taught, rather than to promote
>> challenging the ideas.
>
> If someone believed that God told them that what they had heard in the
> Church weren't true, I would expect them to leave the Church on their
> own.

What if God told them it was their mission to correct the Church?  Then
the Church's response would be to throw them out as a heretic.

That's the problem with people saying that God speaks directly to them.
There's no way to verify it.  Yeah, I know, that's what "faith" means,
but faith only goes so far, and when someone contradicts the Church "in
God's name" or "because God revealed the *Truth* to them", the Church
doesn't react very favourably to that.

Jim

Jim