POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Jul 2009 21:50:25
Message: <4a554ce1$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> I'm not so sure about that.  While in theory there are an unlimited
> number of stories, they're constructed of discreet elements that show up
> repeatedly even in widely varied plots.  There are even fewer stories
> that readily qualify as 'stereotypical RPG fare', even taking
> mind-bending plot-twists-from-left-field into consideration.  So it's
> really just a matter of chaining together elements from a table,
> throwing in unique names and geography, balancing mechanics (which could
> probably be done by the software, really...run a few hundred simulated
> events in the background, adjusting things as needed), and you have a
> computer-generated 'unique' storyline.  How complex it is is really just
> determined by quality of the table from which it grabs elements.

For one of my classes I wrote a detailed business proposal to do just
that :)  Of course, I figured on a 5 year timeline, and a few million
dollars for the R&D, so we never got to try it out...  still, it's been
on the "back shelf" of my head for a while now, and I keep hoping I'll
have a chance to work on something like this.

--
Chambers