POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Tim Cook
Date: 8 Jul 2009 18:54:27
Message: <4a5523a3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Of course the stories, settings and paths are rather fixed because it
> would be quite impossible for a computer to generate the story as it goes,

I'm not so sure about that.  While in theory there are an unlimited
number of stories, they're constructed of discreet elements that show up
repeatedly even in widely varied plots.  There are even fewer stories
that readily qualify as 'stereotypical RPG fare', even taking
mind-bending plot-twists-from-left-field into consideration.  So it's
really just a matter of chaining together elements from a table,
throwing in unique names and geography, balancing mechanics (which could
probably be done by the software, really...run a few hundred simulated
events in the background, adjusting things as needed), and you have a
computer-generated 'unique' storyline.  How complex it is is really just
determined by quality of the table from which it grabs elements.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net