POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jul 2009 14:14:38
Message: <4a54e20e@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 00:14:21 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> (In fact, members are frequently reminded to continue asking God if
> everything they've heard recently in Church is true, and if they should
> accept it).

That's interesting - so if the member doesn't accept something and starts
to try to explain to others why they don't, then the church leadership
"comes down on them" if they teach their alternative view or preach it
from the pulpit?

That "threat" of being booted out of the church for trying to promote an
alternative view seems to run counter to the "reminder" you describe
above.  I might even think it is more likely that it's a way to get
people to try to integrate the teachings of their church leadership into
what they've already been taught, rather than to promote challenging the
ideas.

Since the consequence of not accepting what they've heard in the Church
is true and then speaking out when they reach the conclusion that it
isn't is to be excommunicated or removed from their position (BYU
professorship or other position in the Church).

Jim