POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jul 2009 14:01:10
Message: <4a54dee6$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 00:16:17 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> OK.  When I talk of "The Church" (or "The Union"), I'm speaking of the
> organization, and not the individuals that comprise it (even as a
> group).

Well, in that case it's completely ridiculous to say the Church 'says"
anything as it does not have a mouth nor a voice independent of its
membership or leadership.

By that same logic, the US government has no stand on Iran, genocide, or
other things because the US government is a non-sentient entity.  What
the President or members of congress (or the judiciary) say about issues
doesn't reflect the beliefs of the branches of government they represent
because the branches cannot express their positions as they are non-
sentient.

The reality is that an organization takes a stand on an issue when either
the leadership takes a stand or the membership (in large enough numbers)
all moves in the same direction on the issue.