POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Program : Re: Modelling Program Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling Program
From: Chris B
Date: 8 Jul 2009 13:01:19
Message: <4a54d0df@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote in message
> "quoderatd" <quo### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I was checking out the spline-tutorial on the povray help file and I read
>> the following quote:
>>
>> It is quite difficult to come up with a set of points that describe a
>> given
>> curve without the help of a modeling program supporting POV-Ray's surface
>> of
>> revolution object. If such a program is available we should take
>> advantage of
>> it.
>>

>> Which freely available program allows you to do this?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Both Moray http://www.stmuc.com/moray/ and Bishop3D
> http://www.bishop3d.com/
> will allow you to do this. Besides giving you an OpenGL preview they will
> output SDL to PovRay for your render.
> Moray is free but its development has stalled. Bishop3D is still under
> development but is at RC2. Bishop3D has a SDL parser so there is a good
> chance
> that you can import your existing code into it.

There are also some little dedicated tools that can do this. For example,
I've used the Spilin editor (see
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/thread/%3C48cf4dea@news.povray.org%3E/)

which is for just this sort of thing and can export POV-Ray prisms, lathes
or SoRs.

You can also convert 2D SVG splines into POV-Ray prism objects using the
free InkScape graphics editor. It won't directly generate SoR or lathe
objects, but it's not too difficult to extract the spline data from the
prism and use it in the other object types.

Regards,
Chris B.