POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Jul 2009 12:05:48
Message: <4a54c3dc$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> That complaint started it... the response of the Lord was basically,
> "Since you asked, you're getting the whole deal..."

Ooooookaaaaaaay!

> A prohibition on tobacco like that was pretty much unprecedented,
> however, and it surprised the majority of people.

>>> Yes, those behaviors are prohibited.
>>
>> Well, since that's the specific bit we're talking about, and it sounds
>> like the church is giving specific instructions about what to do about
>> that, I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me.
>
> Well, you happened to touch on one of the few subject where the Church
> gets really specific.

Well, except that the Mormons came into the conversation here because of
Prop 8 in CA.

> You seemed to be taking my statement about
> generality and saying, "That can't be right because of this instance!"
> when that instance is one of the few exceptions.

I didn't say "that can't be right."  I just pointed out the most blatent
counter-example. If that's really a rarity, and I have no reason to doubt
your word on that, then I've learned something. :-)

> Not particularly.  My own understanding of the issues led me to believe
> that I should vote for bills like that.  While I couldn't (as a member
> of the Church) approve of homosexual behavior, I also couldn't approve
> of discrimination against homosexuals.

I'll assume you meant "vote against" if we're talking about the CA
initiatives, since gays already had the right to marry until the religious
fanatics decided to enforce their questionable morality on those not of
their faith. But I applaud your free thinking. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western