POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Jul 2009 12:01:10
Message: <4a54c2c6$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Chambers wrote:
>>> Marriage has nothing to do with that.  Virtually all joint bank
>>> accounts are held with "right of survivorship," meaning when one
>>> owner dies the remaining funds are the property of the surviving owners.
>>
>> Unless, you know, it was only opened by one person. Then where does it
>> go?
>
> In Community Property states, it goes to the spouse.

Right. That's my point. If the government completely stops recognizing
marriage, who is the spouse, and how does he or she get the money from the bank?

>>> In accounts held without right of survivorship, the deceased's share
>>> passes to their estate,
>>
>> And who gets the estate if there isn't a will?
>
> I'd have to consult an estate lawyer on that one.

These weren't intended to be "who gets it now" questions. These were
intended to be "who gets it if the government completely fails to
acknowledge marriage in any legal capacity?"

>>> As I've said, however, designating a default heir should be a simple,
>>> easy matter, which would cover anything not specified in a will.
>>
>> We have that. We call it "marriage". See? :-)
>
> So if I want my brother's son to be my heir, I have to marry him? :o

No, you simply have to write a will.

>> That's not a default.  A default means "what if I don't do that?"
>
> If someone is thoughtless enough to not do anything at all, then let it
> all go to the State.  It can even go into a welfare fund or something.

Sure. And kick the spouse out onto the street. Very compassionate. Maybe she
can get some of that welfare fund when you sell of the deceased's house and
don't give any to the spouse.

> Sorry, maybe I should specify: it's the religious nuts who get itchy for
> a fight.  They're already offended that other people can have different
> opinions, and just looking for an excuse.

Right. Which is why it's not a question of marriage at all.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western