POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Jul 2009 03:49:59
Message: <4a544fa7$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I never realized before that when people talk about an "RPG" game, they
> mean one involving "leveling up". I always thought it had something to
> do with, I dunno, role playing or something. :-)

Most video game players, when speaking of RPGs, are really speaking of
CRPGs.  Historically, computers have lacked the ability to allow
adequate RP, and instead focused on the systems used for running the
games (the numbers).

As a result, most people think of RPGs as being characterized by such
systems.

Rather sad, really.  There was a real RPG a few years ago, an indie one
where you're sitting in a room with a married couple.  You talk to them
by typing sentences in, using natural language, and they also responded
naturally.  Since there was no apparent system (everything under the
hood was hidden; the only feedback you got was what the couple said),
along with no end-state (no way to win or lose), many people said it
didn't even qualify as a game.  Yet, working through this couple's
problems with them was supposed to be quite engaging.

(NB: I never actually got around to playing it, unfortunately, but I
read a few good articles on it!)

Yet games like WOW, which nothing *but* grinding through the system,
sell like Mary Jane hot-cakes bundled with free condoms :(

--
Chambers