POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Jul 2009 03:11:52
Message: <4a5446b8@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> How many BYU professors (for
> example) have been dismissed for being seen to be challenging the
> Church's authority?

That's actually an instance where I would side with the Church.

BYU is a privately funded university, and the Church has a vested
interest in keeping tabs on what, exactly, is taught there.  I'd expect
them to be hard on professors that don't toe the line, just like I would
a private school run by Jehovah's Witnesses, or Jesuits, or any other
religious group.

It's not like they're using state funds to run the place.  If you don't
like what they teach, then don't go there - go to University of Utah
instead, which is a public university.

--
Chambers