POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Jul 2009 02:59:50
Message: <4a5443e6$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Maybe not a sin, but it seems to be a prohibition nonetheless.  Maybe
> "Utah Mormons" are different in that regard, though (I have heard that
> from various people, including those members of the church both inside
> and outside of Utah).

"Utah Mormons" are the scourge of the Church, and a detriment to
society.  They are both more judgmental and less forgiving than members
of the Church in virtually any other part of the world.

They also tend to have lower IQs, from my experience with them.

> "Here's what we do, but you do what you like" isn't really giving people
> a choice.  I wonder if one's temple recommend would be rescinded (I don't
> know a lot about this aspect of the church) if one said "yes, I drink
> Mountain Dew regularly".

No, it would not.  Now, if you drank Coffee or Tea, then yes.

> See, there's the problem.  "Blacks are equal, but only at some date in
> the future".  That doesn't work for me any more than "All men are created
> equal" does in the historical context of "men" being "white males who own
> property".

I never claimed it was accurate, only that it was what the Mormons
believe.  Besides, for a somewhat conservative religion springing out of
19th century revivalism, it seems quite progressive.

That the world eventually caught up and passed them isn't their fault.
After all, they were waiting for God to say, "When."

> No, it's not.  Recent research suggests that (a) it's more natural than
> some people want to believe, and (b) that it's genetic and not a learned
> trait.

That's more in line with the research I've seen as well.

--
Chambers