POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Keyboard warning : Re: Keyboard warning Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Keyboard warning
From: scott
Date: 7 Jul 2009 05:19:24
Message: <4a53131c@news.povray.org>
>>   At least CRTs require air circulation. I actually don't know about
>> LCDs.

Depends on how much heat the backlight generates and what temperature it
needs to work in.  If the waterproof LCD will be on a ship, I imagine you
can bolt it to a huge piece of metal which will work as a pretty good
heatsink.  So long as you design the LCD backlight to have a good thermal
contact with the waterproof case from the inside it should work fine.

> Seriously though... The part of an LCD that gets hot is the flourescent
> backlight. I'm no expert here, but I would imagine if you only run it for
> a short time, it won't have time to heat up much.

Umm yeh, I don't think that's going to be acceptable to anyone if you can
only run it for 15 minutes then have to wait an hour for it too cool down
before you can use it again.

> Those things don't generate all that much heat.

It's surprising how hot things get when they are in sealed boxes...