POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Jul 2009 16:08:04
Message: <4a5259a4$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 22:50:41 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That it's not direct direction doesn't mean they're not saying "do what
>> we say" - "this is what is good", and then "do what you think is right"
>> is pushing a particular social agenda.
>
> True, but in most (not all) cases there's enough room for interpretation
> that members can (and do) take different sides in debates.

At least up to the point where someone stands in front of a congregation
and says "here's my interpretation" if that interpretation differs from
the "official" interpretation from the Church leadership.

I have friends who are members who clearly think that "separate but
equal" is a bad idea with regards to gay marriage.  They can have a
philosophical debate about that all they want, but if they try to
convince others in the Church that they are misguided, then the
leadership "comes down hard on them".  How many BYU professors (for
example) have been dismissed for being seen to be challenging the
Church's authority?

Jim