POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jul 2009 13:16:52
Message: <4a523184$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Why to religions insist that you have to believe in a god before you can go to
> the good place when you die? Why is it not enough to be a good person?

Only the monotheistic religions.

Buddhism, for example, says (in some sense) you have to stop believing in
God in order to go to the good place. :-)

The Mayan religions held that you merely needed to die by blood in order to
help save the world.  As I ever so vaguely understand it, all the actual
gods were already dead. The sacrifices were to help keep the world going
after all the gods sacrificed themselves to make it. (Disclaimer: this was
the audio track on a tourist attraction, so take it with some large-granule
sea salt.)

It makes sense that a monotheistic religion would need much more to convince
you that their god is the right god.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western