POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jul 2009 13:13:14
Message: <4a5230aa$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>   (Yes, go ahead and dismiss this as a "rationalization". After all, no
>> explanation is ever good enough.)
>
>   Oh, and by the way: Are atheists going to drop that specific verse from
> their arsenal after being explained what it means? Of course not. It's way
> too valuable of a straw man to be dropped. It's juicy. It makes christians
> (who don't understand the verse) uncomfortable. Atheists just *love* this.
> That's why they will never drop that verse, even if they silently admit
> that the explanation perhaps makes sense.

Likely true. :-)  Assuming *your* interpretation is correct.

See, one of the big problems is that everyone is convinced their own
interpretation is correct. Atheists tend to look at the plain text of the
book, I think, because arguing about the history behind it doesn't work
well, exactly because many faithful assume their interpretation is the
correct and only possible interpretation, as that is what they've been taught.

>   Part of it might also be that publicly admitting you were wrong can be
> really hard. How many atheists are going to say "yes, you are right, that
> explanation makes sense and I understand the verse now, and I will not use
> it anymore in my critique"?

I think more atheists would than faithful found in the same position.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western