POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm positively buzzing with excitement! (Images attached) : Re: I'm positively buzzing with excitement! (Images attached) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:13:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm positively buzzing with excitement! (Images attached)
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jul 2009 09:09:02
Message: <4a51f76e@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> I'll have to play with the latest beta of 3.7 ... ;)
>
> I get the memory, case and video card next week.

Ah, the waiting game, eh?

What case did you go for? It's surprisingly hard to find a decent one.
(And nearly impossible to tell from a website which cases are the good
ones...)

> BTW, the Intel reference cooler design has gotten really really wild.
> Looks like a good chunk of copper is used right on the processor's heat
> spreader.

The six Dell Precision 7300 systems we just bought are a piece of work.
After you spend 20 minutes uncabling all the SATA cables and God know's
what else so you can remove the plastic air ducting, you find out why
the hell the system is so heavy: The heat sink appears to be a giant
lump of solid pig iron. Seems really overkill... (But hey, it's Dell!)

> LGA is a weird thing, too. The chip has no pins... The board has the pins.

I'm familiar. A few months ago I put together our *cough* dual quad-Xeon
2.8 GHz HP rack-mount server. >:-)

But hey, that's what "LGA" (and PGA) means.