POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jul 2009 21:31:10
Message: <4a5153de@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> The teachings of the church causing it, and the Church itself supporting
> it, are two separate things.

I disagree.

> Historically, the LDS Church has never
> been about telling people what to specifically do

So, all that stuff I hear about not drinking caffeine and such, that's not
"the LDS church telling people what to specifically do"?

> rather how they should live their lives, and letting members apply those
> teachings appropriately.

Well, sure. And if the teaching is "gay people are evil and should be
repressed at every opportunity, and black people are literally spawn of
satan on earth", you don't think that's telling people how to live their
lives?  Isn't telling people specifically how to live their lives what
churches are *for*?

> One of the basic beliefs of the LDS Church is that you shouldn't need to
> be told what to do, anyway.  An intelligent member, who is familiar with
> the life and teachings of Christ, should have no problems figuring out
> how to live a moral life.

Well, unless you're black or gay, apparently.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western