POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jul 2009 21:25:20
Message: <4a515280@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> I'm not saying "we shouldn't have marriage," I'm saying that Civil
> government should not get involved with it.  As a consequence, legal
> matters such as inheritances should not be based on marriage, either.

There's a whole raft of stuff that goes on. You have a bank account shared
between two married people. One of them dies. What happens to the bank
account?  You have a married couple. They have a kid. Kid's mother dies. Dad
remarries. Kid's dad dies. Who has custody of the kid? Husband spends whole
life providing for wife. Wife has no career outside the house. Husband dies.
Who gets husband's social security payments? Who inherits the husband's
money if the husband made no will?  Say you get religiously married, but
before you tell the insurance company, you get in a car accident. Is your
wife covered?

All of these things *could* be contractually determined. However, you still
need defaults for when they haven't been and the event occurs, just like you
have laws saying whether or not the store is required to refund your money
for stuff you bought broken when the store hasn't expressed a warranty policy.

What's the reason you are thinking for not having the government collect a
set of rights and privileges together and saying "this goes to people who
say they're married"?

>> When someone gets hurt in an accident, who should the doctor allow to
>> visit?
>
> I'm sorry, is that a legal matter or an administrative matter?  I don't
> think we need laws saying who can and can't visit people in the hospital.

OK. When you're hurt in an accident and unable to make decisions for
yourself. Who says who is allowed to make the medical decisions about
whether you get a blood transfusion, an operation, etc? Who gets to decide
if you donate organs? Who is allowed to give consent for medical treatment?

Say you wrote up a contract with your boyfriend. Does the doctor have to
honor that contract? He's not a party to it, remember.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western