POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Jul 2009 20:00:54
Message: <4a513eb6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> The reason Prop 8 passed is because the wackos staged it as an
>> "religious" issue,
>
> It *is* a religious issue. There's no secular reason to care about the
> gender of who gets married. It even helps the economy, so I've read.

Yeah. Of course, but my point is, they know "exactly" how to distort the
arguments, so that the only thing most of the "believers" heard was
those issues, not the secular matters. Or, to put it another way, they
got a face full of, "Our definition of marriage is being threatened, and
**nothing else is at issue**". If they had honestly been defending
marriage they would have fought for a bill to adjust the definition, not
ban what is 99% secular legal issues, and 1% religious ritual. The
problem is, the argument to the black community was, "They are attacking
tradition", when outside of that community, and those others that they
"knew" where going to see the religious argument, the same people where
talking about property ownership, patient rights, kin rights, etc.

It was shell game. So, yeah, it was religious, but only in the sense
that, for the people pushing the idea, ***everything*** is religious,
and they knew that the otherwise liberal voting black community would
fall for that argument, without bothering to consider any other issue.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {