POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Jul 2009 19:51:02
Message: <4a513c66$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Wow.  I am really naive.  But what does it all mean?
>
> Actually, I have never 'gotten' Steven Colbert.  For me the absurdist
> vein to his humor undercuts the sactimony, satirical or otherwise.

Yeah, they make a brief mention of conservapedia on that page,
mentioning "numerous" examples there. The problem is, within 24 hours of
the site going live and people finding out about it, anything from
50%-100% of the pages posted to it where ***all*** spoofs, written by
atheists, agnostics, humanists and the like, as a reaction to the insane
BS already one their, in order to see what sort of ludicrous BS would
survive. My guess, though without some parallel site tracking who did
what, its not possible to know for sure, is that at least 50%-80% of the
stuff "still on there" is things that the site owner couldn't tell where
fake either, due to his own insanity, so left, more or less unedited.
The Mt Ararat volcanoes stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

Someone once stated that they had posted something on a blog some place
involving, I don't remember what, but like space aliens, the polar ice
cap and Jesus being Elvis, or some insane BS, and had someone else point
out to him, within less than an hour, a web site run by some cult or
other, who "actually" believed it already, and had made an almost word
for word identical argument, **and not as a joke, but as a serious
statement of belief**.

When you are dealing with people that are so crazy that they might
imagine that Peter Pan was a documentary and Never Never Land is heaven,
but they way to get there is by capturing a pixie (and I am sure someone
someplace makes this argument), almost "anything" else you could come up
with, no matter how vaguely rational you make it, in an attempt to make
it sound 'somewhat' plausible, as part of a joke, is going to be accused
of being "real", instead of a Poe. And, almost any position held by
"real" people in the world will be accused of being a Poe, even if they
are 100% serious.

Its like living in a world based on the movie Baron Münchhausen. The
only thing more ridiculous than the silly BS the main character "makes
up", is the actually reality of what is taking place.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {