POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Jul 2009 19:06:00
Message: <4a5131d8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>>   "Why do christians get divorced at the same rate as non-christians?
>>> Because God is imaginary."
>>>
>>>   That answer is a complete non-sequitur.
>
>> Sorry, but you can not judge a video by what you decide is it's main
>> point. Nor is it your prerogative to decide for me what I should
>> consider the most important points.
>> About that quote: It *is* a non-sequitur and therefore I dismissed it as
>> of being of no value and I won't discuss any such nonsense that is not
>> defended by anyone here.
>
>   I don't really understand what you are saying. Are you saying that yes,
> there is a flaw in the video, but that I shouldn't judge it for that flaw?

How about, judging the entire thing based on only its flaws is as bad as
what you accuse it of doing, by having any in the first place? All such
lists are flawed, because there will be people stating that a) well it
doesn't apply to the ones "I" consider to belong to the group it talks
about, b) such and such group doesn't include X idea, and I don't
imagine Y or Z does either (which just shows a lack of imagination imho
lol), or c) it really is, in this one case, a bad argument, whether the
rest is sort of accurate or not. So... point out where its inaccurate
and be "specific" about who its inaccurate about. Don't presume that
because you find it inaccurate that its "not" accurate for the group
"they" where talking about, even as a general example of the sort of
issues that crop up.

That said.. Highest divorce rates, child abuse rates, incest, etc.
always seem to be in states that are high religion, and
literalist/dominionist/creationist at that, and the only thing that has
changed in that particular statistic is the accuracy of the "collection"
of such data. Sure, at one time it was probably less likely that people
divorced, but "in general", this seemed to happen a lot more with the
highly religious people than the more wishy washy ones. Two obvious
reasons this may be the case is a) the inflexibility of relationships in
such households, which means a greater odds of conflicts, and b) a much
more strict idea about the rules on when, how, and what you do before,
marriage, which can result in them having no clue when they do it, if
they are compatible in the first place (in any respect, including the bed).

In other words, the deck is stacked "against" them having stable social
relationships, and the only thing the prevalence of divorces indicated
is a recognition that its not worth living in such incompatible
conditions. Mind, they also have the highest rate of "actual" cheaters
too, probably do to the same social issues.

Ah, you might wonder why I say "actual" cheaters... This stems from
something I never put into words myself, but which someone else did at
one point. They where describing how they reached the conclusion of why
"some" situations caused jealousy and some didn't, including one case of
attending an orgy. The conclusion they reached was that it was about
self respect and inclusion. Attending the orgy was a "mutual" choice,
with both parties talking about the situation, knowing what was going to
happen, and accepting that it would, because they "both" decided it was
something they wanted together. A later situation was the exact
opposite. Her boy friend simply cheated, without talking about it at
all, with someone she didn't know about, when she thought he was doing
something else. That later case she had to wonder a) why he didn't feel
the need to consult her at all, b) why she wasn't good enough to consult
about it, never mind good enough period, and c) what else (or who else)
he might have done behind her back without her being even talked to
about it.

Its kind of an interesting look at the reality of what the word means.
And, the fact that she could switch from, "This is no big deal.", in any
number of cases she "knew" what was going on, and agreed with it, to
absolute rage in the ones she didn't, didn't make sense to her, until
she took a look at "why" the situations where different.

That said, people who think sleeping outside marriage is absolutely
wrong, like the highly religious, are a) not going to tell/consult their
partner when they do it, b) going to do it anyway, and c) going to do
everything they can to hide that its happening. This can "only" lead to
jealousy and rage, but.. for the very reason they hide it from the
spouse, they can't avoid the backlash resulting "from" it. The opted to
exclude their partner from the choice, "knowing" that they not only
wouldn't approve, but that that they wouldn't respect their partners
refusal, even if they "did" consult them. And, that.. right there shows
a lack of real commitment/respect to their partner in the first place.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();