POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Jul 2009 18:20:05
Message: <4a512715$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Like you I noticed that devout christians sometimes change a lot when
> they study theology. Often the 'God' becomes more abstract and/or their
> believe becomes more personal or gnostic. That is not strange, but it
> may result in a gap with the 'lay-man'. I don't have a problem with
> that, but it may appear hypocritical in certain circumstances.
> As long as we take one another's religion serious and don't try to make
> fun of what differs from what we believe, there should not be a problem.
> This video fails pathetically in that respect.

Sigh.. Ok.. So, you want people to take seriously religions that smear
their gods so thin that their "order/church" becomes little more than a
title, since their god has been reduced to quantum interference
patterns? I can certainly tolerate such people a lot more, but taking it
seriously... And no one that is "serious" about the truth of their faith
is going to take those people as anything other than just what they are,
agnostics/atheists who still insist on holding on to some vague belief
in magic beans.

Fact is, the lay-man doesn't have a problem with such people, other than
their unfortunate tendency, when confronted with a problem, to circle
the wagons "around" the Indians (i.e., more radical and literalist
believers), in order to defend themselves against the settlers...

But, you are right in a sense, its "precisely" why the truly lost ones
claim everyone "other" than them is a non-believer. Because, its true,
in a sense. They are the only ones "holding on" to the idea that Thor
causes thunder, Poseidon didn't like the street festivals in New
Orleans, Ares is going to show up in 2012 bringing conquest, famine and
death with him (yeah, the white one is conquest, which is why he has a
Roman helmet and spear) and Ahriman still plans to plunge the world into
unending chaos, if Ahura Mazda wasn't around to being universal order
(even if they now insist on calling the later ones Satan and Jesus).

Like I said, there are no "deeper" issues. Anything internally tends to
be nitpicking over trivia, and anything they "claim" are huge issues
when talking to the outside world are the same silly BS Dawkins, et al,
point out are their only, and failed, arguments.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();