POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jul 2009 17:49:16
Message: <4a511fdc$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Probably me. I keep hearing stories about various religions being
> illegal and followers having been prosecuted for convening. It is hard
> to judge from here, and probably they were indeed trying to overthrow
> the government.

Apparently, religion is often used as a front. It's quite fine (or so I hear
from those living there) to practice Falong Gong or whatever it's called, as
long as you don't say "because you don't recognize our practice, we want to
overthrow you."  Yet around San Diego, people pass out brochures about all
the abuses perpetrated against proponents of falong gong.

Of course, it's not like the chinese government never lies or propagandizes.
But from what I saw when I'm there, most people seem pretty happy with the
government, and it's the individual abuses that get blown out of proportion
here.  Not unlike 98% of the cops in the USA are nice and polite and such,
and it's the 2% who beat the crap out of handcuffed suspects that makes the
news.

They don't have as much freedom. The government officials are still trying
to keep the country stable and prosperous. But from everything I hear,
they're actually working quite hard to keep the majority of chinese citizens
happy and healthy and prosperous. (Unlike, say, what I hear about Zimbabwe
and such.) The government just tries to keep people from disrupting the
government and throwing the whole country back into hundreds or warring
territories.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western