POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jul 2009 15:46:57
Message: <4a510331@news.povray.org>
> >   The video asks a very loaded question: "Why do christians get divorced
> > at the same rate as non-christians?" It's a loaded question because it
> > assumes that the bible or christians teach that God doesn't allow christians
> > to divorce.

> I think it's more the "if marriage is a holy gift from God, why don't those
> married in God's eyes have better marriages?"

  In other words, it's basically the "why does God allow bad things to
happen?" question.

  The answer the video offers to this question is "because God is imaginary",
which is a non-sequitur.

> I.e., it's more along the lines of "if you're not going to follow God's will
> in *your* marriages, what right do you have to impose God's will on the
> marriages of people who don't believe in your God to start with?"

  That's not what the video is saying, nor even implying. The video is
purely questioning God's existence.

> >   Even if all that is true, how does the "answer" given in the video, ie.
> > "God is imaginary", related to this? It doesn't make God imaginary if people
> > don't follow what the bible says.

> It makes God "imaginary" in the sense that God has no physical effect or
> cause any change in the world.

  No, it only tells us that God doesn't affect all (or any) marriages.
No more.

> If nothing God commands comes to pass, why
> believe in God's ability to command things?

  If your boss tells you to do something and you don't do it, does that
mean that your boss doesn't exist?

--
                                                          - Warp