POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jul 2009 13:36:30
Message: <4a50e49e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If the bible made any kind of promise that people who believe in God
> won't even divorce, why would there be any need for such laws?

Because even in the Bible, it is acknowledged that God cannot affect things
on earth, and that humans need to enforce with violence their interpretation
of God's will against one another. That's pretty much what people who don't
believe in that book dislike about it.

>   The video asks a very loaded question: "Why do christians get divorced
> at the same rate as non-christians?" It's a loaded question because it
> assumes that the bible or christians teach that God doesn't allow christians
> to divorce.

I think it's more the "if marriage is a holy gift from God, why don't those
married in God's eyes have better marriages?"

I.e., it's more along the lines of "if you're not going to follow God's will
in *your* marriages, what right do you have to impose God's will on the
marriages of people who don't believe in your God to start with?"

>   Even if all that is true, how does the "answer" given in the video, ie.
> "God is imaginary", related to this? It doesn't make God imaginary if people
> don't follow what the bible says.

It makes God "imaginary" in the sense that God has no physical effect or
cause any change in the world. If nothing God commands comes to pass, why
believe in God's ability to command things?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western