POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jul 2009 10:19:46
Message: <4a50b682@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> BTW you forgot
> to shed doubt on the church part. Now we could read it as a confession
> that you are member of a church. ;)

  In fact, I'm not.

> >   There were clearly wrong assumptions being made in the video. For example,
> > there's no claim in the bible, literal or metaphorical, that people who
> > believe in God and are saved never divorce. I don't even remember hearing
> > any christian making such claim. (Well, I'm sure that there exist people
> > who make all kinds of claims, eg. that if two people divorce they are not
> > "true" christians, or whatever. But that's not what any mainstream christian
> > church teaches.)

> Matthew 19:1-12 especially 19:6

  That's a command, not a promise. It commands that people should not
divorce. It doesn't promise that people won't want to divorce. If you
read the next verses you'll see a direct admission of that: People *do*
divorce, even if God has put them together, and that's why some laws were
put in place for those occasions.

  If the bible made any kind of promise that people who believe in God
won't even divorce, why would there be any need for such laws?

  The video asks a very loaded question: "Why do christians get divorced
at the same rate as non-christians?" It's a loaded question because it
assumes that the bible or christians teach that God doesn't allow christians
to divorce. Nowhere is there such a promise. On the contrary, it's readily
admitted in the bible that people divorce even though God wouldn't want
them to.

  I suppose the correct answer to the question would be: "Because people
don't always follow God's will." The answer the video gives to the question
is inconsequential.

> >   I really can't understand why they included that one. Even I can think of
> > plenty of tougher questions.

> The assumption is that people who believe that God united them in
> marriage will be more hesitant to divorce, more so because God
> explicitly forbids it. Divorce rates were indeed much lower in the first
> half of the 20th century because of this here. Apparently the words of
> Matthew became less important during the last century.

> The only accepted reason for divorce was adultery (following Matthew
> 19:8). My mother even mentioned the existence of the concept of the 'big
> lie' (or a name something like that). If two people decided that they
> had to divorce but this condition did not apply, one or both would admit
> adultery that had never taken place.

  Even if all that is true, how does the "answer" given in the video, ie.
"God is imaginary", related to this? It doesn't make God imaginary if people
don't follow what the bible says.

--
                                                          - Warp