POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jul 2009 09:08:36
Message: <4a50a5d4@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Ok, so you are from the metaphor interpretation side of the church. That
> is good to know. ;)

  I don't really like being categorized based on belief systems.

> Under your interpretation (that the bible contains metaphors and that it
> is the underlying message that is important) the assumptions made in the
> video are wrong. But does that mean that the arguments are absolutely
> wrong or that the maker used 'Christians' where he should have used a
> much more elaborate definition to make sure you were not included but
> the ones he meets everyday were?

  There were clearly wrong assumptions being made in the video. For example,
there's no claim in the bible, literal or metaphorical, that people who
believe in God and are saved never divorce. I don't even remember hearing
any christian making such claim. (Well, I'm sure that there exist people
who make all kinds of claims, eg. that if two people divorce they are not
"true" christians, or whatever. But that's not what any mainstream christian
church teaches.)

  I really can't understand why they included that one. Even I can think of
plenty of tougher questions.

--
                                                          - Warp