POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ivy Generator : Re: Ivy Generator Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:35:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ivy Generator
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Jul 2009 03:11:31
Message: <4a505223$1@news.povray.org>
"hobBIT" <bla### [at] gmxde> schreef in bericht
> At the moment, growing is weighted by 4 factors:
> 1. follow direction of last segment
> 2. random
> 3. gravity
> 4. "up",
> while the last can be seen as growing towards light. It's easy to add
> another weight which grows to a given vector, but growing to "light" can
> be very complex, depending on scene complexity, maybe a path can help out
> to accomplish this.
>
> The starting point and primary growing direction are input parameters.
>
> I think about a total replace of the current growing algo, as it always
> clamps to any object, so hanging ivy is not really possible atm.

"up" is probably enough for most  outdoor cases as "light" can be
interpreted as the sun but also as the bright sky. Growing indoors however,
would need a vector, representing a window for instance, or several vectors
for several vectors, where a "brightness" parameter would additionally bias
the growth more or less.

Hanging ivy should be implemented indeed as this happens in real life as
soon as the branches overtop their support.

Thomas