POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jul 2009 13:04:44
Message: <4a4f8bac@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> distorting what christianity and the bible say,

To be fair, you probably see a different bunch of christians than the
outspoken atheists do. Here we have regular problems with christians passing
discriminatory laws and such, based on the belief that you are evil if not
christian and the belief that the bible is 100% true and correct.

When they start teaching the Earth is 6000 years old, and fire biology
teachers that mention evolution, and murder doctors that do what they think
the bible says they shouldn't, in *your* country, let me know what the straw
man is.

Oh, and let me know when the Pope thinks atheists are human, again.

>   I especially like the video called "10 questions that every intelligent
> Christian must answer". It's completely full of fallacious argumentation,

It's only fallacious if you don't assume a literal reading of the bible and
so on. I mean, we have a really big number of people here who really think
the universe is only 6000 years old.

Honestly, I think most of these arguments are pointless, since the entire
idea behind religion is to be irrational if not illogical. Making arguments
like this isn't going to change the mind of atheists *or* the faithful. All
the arguments are old and tired, and if you[1] already believe you know
God's will enough to enforce your views on others, yet God's will is too
ineffable to understand, then pointing out fallacies in your logic isn't
going to help.

[1] Generic "you" here, not "You, Warp". :-)

> Even atheists succumb to confirmation bias: They are more likely to
> believe false statements when those statements confirm their own beliefs.

Well, of course. That's why people invented science.

> In this regard many of them are not much better than religious people.

Atheists are better than the faithful in this sense because atheists *know*
they have confirmation bias.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western