POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dust motes : Re: Dust motes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dust motes
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 4 Jul 2009 08:29:48
Message: <4a4f4b3c$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks both of you, either solution works to give the expexted
effect. Simply setting extinction to 0 is rather elegant as it
makes it simple to fill arbitrary shapes with media-based dust
without worrying where to place random particles.

Of course, it is physically completely impossible ;) Tim's
solution is probably closer to the real thing, but actually
I don't think dust motes are really transparent - at home,
my dust unfortunately seems visible once landed :-P

I suppose individual particles or fibres are just too thin
to resolve at a distance, but reveal their presence when they
emit light. I tried to emulate this by making Tim's dust motes
have color rgb 1, scaling them down by a factor of 10 and using
insane aa settings afterwards (+a0.0 +am2 +r4), but only got
visible specks after faking the specular value up to 100.
Anyway its not really a feasible solution ;)