POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SimCity 4 : Re: SimCity 4 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SimCity 4
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 3 Jul 2009 21:38:25
Message: <4a4eb291$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/03/09 17:22, Warp wrote:
> got its chance. Not only is it optimal for the laptop because it's not a
> high-end game requiring a supercomputer, but the game itself being a calm
> mouse-based resource management style game is very suited to be played on
> a laptop.

	Actually, I think it was considered a resource hog when it came out.

> rapidly. In fact, my very first city got bankrupt so fast that I just scrapped
> it completely and started over, this time much more moderately, building more
> slowly, allocating resources sparingly, and waiting for the population to
> slowly grow. Yet, still, the expenses seemed to always be higher than the
> income, and again the funds shrunk inevitably towards zero. In fact, at one
> point I was in debt and had to take a loan.

	Ah, sweet memories.

	Games like SimCity and Civilization are among my favorites, but I like
only a few of them. It's really hard to make a good one. A lot of them
require too much micromanagement, which I can't stand. And then again,
the AI is also a big downer at times, and I heard SimCity 4 had this
problem, but I never played enough of it to know for sure.

	While I played a lot of SimCity, SimCity 2000 was the one I really
loved. Like you, my first game ended due to too many loans. So when I
started a new game, I *really* planned it well.

	How well? I basically noted down all the prices, and paused the game.
You can build a whole bunch of things while paused (zones, etc). So I
took a piece of paper, calculated what stuff I could afford to buy with
the initial seed money, and then bought it while all paused. The benefit
of pausing is that you don't lose any money in this initial phase due to
maintenance of roads.

	It worked. I never had to take a loan. It also worked for SimCity 3 and
4, but I didn't really play much of either.

	I'll warn you. If you make the city big enough, you'll get attached to
it. I still remember various crises "we" went through - when I lost the
power plant because I was careless, and when various natural disasters
(my favorite) occurred and it took a long time to recover. And how I
went from failing schools to top notch ones.

	That was 15 years ago. Brings back memories. If I lose the next week or
so playing SimCity, I'll be silently cursing you.<G>

	27 C is not hot, BTW. ;-)

--
I didn't know my husband drank until one day he came home sober.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl