POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Which processor to use? : Re: Which processor to use? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which processor to use?
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Jul 2009 10:47:31
Message: <4a4b7703$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:
> I concur - the Dual Core cannot be twice as fast as a Quadcore - I
> really doubt this.

Well, for a task that only uses 1 thread, a multicore CPU can be slower
than a single core.

But yes, I think this particular data point is erroneous somehow.

> That's my problem (one of many ;-) - to find a reliable source of
> benchmarks. I do not need something telling me how fast Quake runs -
> it's more a function of the graphics-card anyway - I would like to have
> a reliable source showing the performance of the respective CPUs. So I
> tried here - raytracing is a task that consumes CPU power.

On all the benchmarks I've seen on Tom's Hardware, Core 2 is the
architecture to aim for. (Although I'll admit to having not studied Core
i7 too strongly yet. It's still too expensive.)