POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. : Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. Server Time
7 May 2024 04:39:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations.
From: Chambers
Date: 30 Jun 2009 21:52:01
Message: <4a4ac141$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> So you're saying that your major objection is that you don't want to
>> look through the source code, right?
>
> And then do a calculation to figure out what to tell POV, yes.

Fair enough.

Arguing that POV should be like other programs doesn't really convince
me of anything, though, since POV distinctly *isn't* like other programs.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

POV has two sets of input: the scene itself (the scene file and any
include files) in SDL, and INI options (given either in actual .ini
files or on the command line).

Currently, the idea is that everything concerning the picture be
contained within the scene, whereas everything concerning the output
image be contained within the INI options.  The picture, including
objects, textures, and even the camera, can not be modified from the INI
options.

Currently, POV views the camera as part of the scene.  That's just how
it works.

Now, what do you want to accomplish?

If you want to resize the image without changing the aspect ratio, then
we have several options.
1) When the user specifies only one dimension, let POV compute the other
assuming square pixels.
2) When POV parses the final camera block, display the image aspect
ratio as part of the text output.
3) If the image aspect ratio does not match the camera aspect ratio,
give a warning (but continue in case non-square pixels are desired).

If, on the other hand, you want to resize the image, and *change* the
aspect ratio, I'd recommend that you actually read the scene files
(because you need to know about the scene, what is present, and where it
is placed).

--
Chambers