POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The future will be ok! : Re: The future will be ok! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future will be ok!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Jun 2009 17:57:43
Message: <4a4a8a57$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> tempuratures have actually gone "down" in the last few years! Sigh...
>
> Well, to be fair, on the other hand, a lot of the projections are huge
> variations in the future. It's not like everyone is working with solid
> data and some people are making things up.  Everyone's making up
> projections, so even small variations in what's going on now can modify
> tremendously the future.
>
> It's not like scientists haven't gone overboard making up projections
> before. See "Nuclear winter".

Yeah, well. Projections tend to be, you know.. not accurate.. lol

In any case, the denialists in this case still have to explain the "dry
region" changes from 15% of the planet to 40%, and a number of other
factors, even if there was a "localized" trend for cooler weather. Heck,
based on data and theory we do have, the last two ice ages where a
result of disruptions in water flow in the oceans, in large part. I.e.,
if you disrupt the ability of warm water to shift north, and cold south,
in the normal pattern, you get "no" warm water going north, and the ice
formed thicker. Fix that, and it starts melting, until... well, you get
another smaller disruption, (when the great lakes melted enough to dump
into the ocean and cool the water by a huge margin again), whoops,
mini-ice age, until it fixes itself again.

What they don't grasp is the bigger picture, and the fact that "short
term" drastic shifts can happen, due to normal water/weather patterns
being disrupted, leading to "pockets" of areas where the results get all
screwed up from normal.

You even get the same thing "locally" when building cities. Doing so
will either increase, or decrease, reflected heat, lowering or raising
the air temperature over the buildings, and significantly altering the
local rain fall and weather patterns. Maybe if where I live, in Lake
Havasu, AZ, without all the buildings, it would only be 110 degrees, not
120? Who knows, but the presence of buildings, and parking lots, changes
what the "result" is over the city, so odds are, it has "some" effect.
But, these people can't grasp the big picture, never mind grasp the
"small" local ones.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {