POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watching DVD's on big screens : Re: Watching DVD's on big screens Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watching DVD's on big screens
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 30 Jun 2009 08:42:51
Message: <4a4a084b$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> I have yet to see anybody have a need to show a DVD in a meeting. It's
> much more usual to need to show PowerPoint, or some WMA-encoded file on
> the file server / intranet, or a VNC/RDP session or something like than
> than a plain ordinary DVD.

Yes, that certainly is more usual. But it's not rare that at my work
people are eg. showing commercials from a DVD. At paragliding course we
watched educational DVD.

> Also, I would imagine most companies have lots of laptops around the
> place, but approximately 0 DVD-players.

That's also possible. Not us, though. If you need a laptop, your
superior has to explain why you need one, after that IT department
orders it.

> But sure, in principle, if showing a DVD is what you actually want to
> do, a DVD player is, sockingly, the most efficient way to do this.

Yep. It just seems that nobody thinks of it, if you're showing the DVD
off with a projector. If you hook it to TV, people think DVD -player and
don't even realize that laptop can be hooked on TV.

> Unless you have my mum's DVD player. In that case, using a light
> microscope to transcribe the pits and flats by hand and perform the DCT
> with pencil and paper would be far, far faster than waiting for the
> player to start up. :-P

Why yes, it's a HiFi-model, it needs to warm up first to make sure the
picture won't have 7th harmonics on the signal!

-Aero