POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's venom: Acrobat : Re: Today's venom: Acrobat Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's venom: Acrobat
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Jun 2009 08:08:59
Message: <4a4a005b@news.povray.org>
>> And they walk off muttering "yeah, whatever, we believe you".
>
> So you forward them the email you got from management in reply to your
> suggestion.

If I had it in writing, sure...

> And you email everyone reminding them to log a IT call if
> they ever experience an unacceptable delay in the external network so
> that you can inform management how severe the problem is, etc.

Nobody will bother. They'll log a call, see that nothing happens
instantly, and never bother again.

> be
> proactive, let people see that you are working rather than just hiding
> away and waiting for them to come to you.

I used to be quite proactive - trying to fix things before they broke,
etc. But now so much of our infrastructure isn't actually under my
control anyway, it seems every time something breaks all I can actually
do is call America and ask them to fix it. Which just makes it look like
I'm incapable of doing my job without help. (Well, maybe I wouldn't be
if they'd tell me how these systems actually work, and give me access to
look at them when things go wrong...)

>> All he does is swagger around in that arrogant self-important way, and
>> spend all day on Facebook.
>
> Well you're the IT guy - block facebook

I don't have the power to do that. Only the Network Administrator can.

>> The "stuff" consists of a cabinet (which was there when the builders
>> built the place) and some fibers going into it. I have asked on
>> several occasions what's going on with this room - the general
>> response being "uh, dunno". [More like "I don't give a crap"...]
>
> Surely the obvious response is then "well who *does* know then?"  As the
> IT guy it seems pretty reasonable that you need to know why this stuff
> is there.  Don't stop until you get to the top :-)

I think basically everybody's lost interest. They're talking about
renting that space out to somebody else - but it'll be interesting to
see what they do with the bundles of stuff stored in there. ;-)