POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nikon D90 : Re: Nikon D90 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nikon D90
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jun 2009 21:12:44
Message: <4a49668c$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Is that actually needed? I think the image could be manipulated
> automatically by the software when you say "use infrared".

I would have thought they wouldn't put in moving parts and extra filters if
it wasn't actually needed. For one thing, you have to block the visible
light from getting to the sensor, yes?

>> If you had an optical filter and you're trying to line things up with
>> infrared, you *eye* would have to be seeing the infrared.
>
> Ehm... What's a filter dropping in front of the lens if not optical? :-)
> Yes, if you want to see the IR at the optical viewfinder, you surely
> need to see IR.

That's my point. If you're not looking at an LCD, but instead you're looking
out the lens, you won't be able to see the IR that you're photographing.

> But IMO it should be able to be done by the software (at
> least well enough for lining up the image - you don't actually need a
> HQ-image for that, at least at dark when you're using exposure times of
> multiple seconds anyway).

With the Sony, you can either take the picture in IR (which is quick,
espeically if you put on an IR flash), or you can line up the photo using IR
and then take a flash photo. I don't think it takes that long an exposure,
as I have a movie camera that will also film in IR that I can point out the
window at night and catch wildlife.

>> Sure.  I was just discussing some of the benefits of LCD viewfinder over
>> optical viewfinder.
>
> You were also wondering why SLR still needs the R :-).

Yes.

> F707 is a SLR? I thought it's a pocket camera (no, I didn't check) or a
> "half-SLR (SL?)"

It has a decent lens. 67mm or something. White balance, manual
focus/aperature/exposure, flash shoe, etc etc. Basically most of the
features of an SLR except for changing the lens and actually being an SLR.
Very robust, too. I've been using it for years, and the first thing to wear
out was the springs where you push the memory chips in and such.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf707/

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western