POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nikon D90 : Re: Nikon D90 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nikon D90
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jun 2009 18:33:07
Message: <4a494123$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> It doubles the delay - when you're aiming for the shot you'll need to
> stop for a moment to see what you're shooting.

If the lens is big enough, the delay becomes trivial. I don't notice a 1/10"
delay, myself, and almost all my daytime shots are faster than that. YMMV.

It certainly takes longer to focus than to get the image from the lens to
the LCD. :-)

>> Plus, of course, if you're in the dark, you can line up the shot with
>> infrared before you take the shot with the flash. :-) Or without the
>> flash, for that matter.
>
> Yes, that's a benefit. But missing that on D90 (does it miss that?)

As far as I know, yes.

>  it's because of software, not because of existence of the optical viewfinder.

Well, no, it's because the D90 doesn't have an infrared filter that drops
down over the lens when you say "use infrared." :-)

If you had an optical filter and you're trying to line things up with
infrared, you *eye* would have to be seeing the infrared.

> As you know, with D90 you can shoot video and AFAIK you see the video on
> the LCD at the same time, which proves that it's technically perfectly
> possible to turn the mirror, catch the light to the sensor and show it
> on screen. Nothing (except filtering optics) prevents from using the IR.

Sure.  I was just discussing some of the benefits of LCD viewfinder over
optical viewfinder.

> Also nothing (except price) prevents from making the LCD turnable so
> that you could use it as a viewfinder while shooting over crowd.

Indeed.

>> Definite benefits either way, I suppose.
>
> Yep, except nothing stops camera makers from implementing the SLR LCD to
> work as a viewfinder and getting those benefits. They just haven't done
> it, at least not yet.

Sure they have. That's exactly what I'm talking about hte Sony F707 doing,
aren't I?  That's basically just what the Sony does, except it has an LCD in
the back and another behind the viewfinder.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western