POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watching DVD's on big screens : Watching DVD's on big screens Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Watching DVD's on big screens
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 29 Jun 2009 17:30:33
Message: <4a493279$1@news.povray.org>
Andrew's whine about the collaboration system reminded me of one thing
I've wondered. Whenever there's a need to show a DVD on a meeting with a
projector, why everyone thinks immediality that they need a laptop? This
used to happen pretty much at work and even the people who have a home
theatre come to the IT department "Hey guys, I'll need to show a DVD,
would you have a laptop?". Why won't they think of a.. dunno, maybe a
DVD-player? A normal DVD-player works 100% sure under one minute from
starting it and costs under 100€. Why would anyone want to replace one
with a 10-times more expensive laptop, which boots for half eternity and
might eg. upgrade itself for 20 minutes, when they're not going to do
anything more than just show the DVD? Is a laptop something cool? Is it
a feeling that you can't hook anything but laptop to the projector?

This ain't anymore a problem at work for me - I started directing the
people asking a laptop for this to the department that buys the
non-IT-stuff we use at work to ask for a DVD-player. Today most of our
meeting rooms (at least the ones with a projector) include a DVD-player
and some kind of audio equipment and people are happy, because those
dedicated devices just work - they just couldn't think of it themselves.

-Aero